There are interesting places worth visiting near CYRO Hotel. The following are just selected examples of the most significant sights:
Click here for more information on the city of Brno.
It is situated at the top of the hill in the city district Brno-Centre. It was built in the second half of the 13th century by Přemysl Otakar II. In the 14th century, it was used as the seat of Moravian Margraves of the Luxembourg Family. During the 15th century and the Hussite wars, it was a strategic fortress. Throughout the years, it went through several modifications. The Gothic castle was transformed into a Baroque fortress in the 17th century.
Some of the significant exhibitions situated at the castle:
- Casemates – display the Baroque fortress building construction and prison services in the era of Joseph II. After the Battle of Bílá hora, the prison was used for members of the Moravian resistance against the Habsburgs. Baron Franz von der Trenck was one of the well-known prisoners. Joseph II made Špilberk the prison for the worst criminals. Later on, the prisoners were chained down in the individual cells. In 1790, Leopold II as Joseph’s successor abolished the prison in the lower casemates for prisoners serving life sentences. The upper casemates continued to be used as a prison until the mid-19th century.
- Špilberk – Prison of the nations (Austrian monarchy prison) – Northern and Western wing of the castle
- Brno at Špilberk – Northern and Western wing of the castle
- From Renaissance to Modernism – graphic arts 1570 – 1900
- For new Brno – Brno architecture 1919 – 1939
- Špilberk from a castle to a fortress – development of the castle, building history
It is situated at Petrov hill in the south-west part of the city district Brno-Centre. It is a significant architectural monument in South Moravia. The towers are 84 metres high. The interior is largely Baroque. The exterior with two towers, on the contrary, was built in the Gothic Revival style. It was designed by architect August Kirstein. At the frontispiece of the main entrance to the cathedral, there is a Latin quote from the Gospel of Matthew. The cathedral is used by the Brno Bishopric.
It is situated in the Černá Pole city district at Černopolní Street No. 45. The architectural design was created by a German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1928, who came upon an invitation from the Tudendhat family. The villa was built in a very short time in 1930. It is one of the key works of Functionalist architecture.
There are three storeys in the villa, although from the outside, it seems to be a single-storey house. In the top storey, there is the Tugendhat family bedroom, and reception hall. The residential and representative parts are situated in the middle storey. The bottom storey is not accessible to the public; in the past, it was used by the servants. The entire construction, including the furnishings and garden, cost 5 million crowns.